The Peace and Security Directorate seeks to
provide an enhanced institutional capacity for achieving peace, security
and stability in Africa, through proactive action and support to the
efforts of AU Member States, within the framework of the larger African
Union vision for a united, peaceful, stable and prosperous continent.
Furthermore, it will facilitate and ensure a more effective, efficient
cooperation and coordination of initiatives within the continent,
as well as the Regional Conflict Resolution Mechanisms and other international
The overall objective of the Peace and Security Directorate is the
maintenance of peace, security and stability through the coordination
and promotion of African and other initiatives on conflict prevention,
management and resolution within the context of the UN.
The specific objectives include among others to:
- Ensure early signing, ratification and operationalisation
of the Protocol on Peace and Security Council;
- Coordinate, harmonize and promote peace and security
programmes of the REC’s;
- Establish and efficient early warning system
supportive of rapid response by the Union;
- Develop a common African defense and security
- Engage in mediation and resolution of conflicts;
- Enhance the capacity of the AU, and contribute
towards strengthening capacities of the stakeholders in conflict
prevention, management and resolution
The programme thrust of the Peace and Security Directorate is the
promotion of peace, security and stability through conflict prevention,
management and resolution in Africa
Mechanisms for Ensuring Peace and Securit
· Elaborate the concept and
doctrine of peace and security.
· Elaborate modalities and mechanisms for effective cooperation
and harmonization with regional Mechanisms (RECs) for conflict prevention
· Elaborate mechanisms to deal with unconstitutional change
· Elaborate and implement all initiatives for addressing
strategic and security issues that impact on the stability of AU
Institution Building for Peace and
· Establish and operationalise
the Peace and Security Council (PSC) of the AU
· Establish and operationalise Peace and Security structures
e.g. Panel of the Wise, its rules of procedure and modalities for
smooth and effective functioning.
· Establish a continent wide Early Warning System
· Establish and operationalise an African Standby Force (ASF)
and Military Staff Committees.
· Enhance the capacity of the Directorate.
· Develop a multidimensional strategic level management capability
at AU headquarter.
Strategic Analysis and Support
· Build an Early Warning
System with the capacity for trend analysis.
· Establish sustainable strategic studies centers and basis.
· Network with all relevant partners
· Undertake Conflict Management and Resolution
· Support the African Women’s Consultative Forum.
Strategic Security Issues
· Facilitate disarmaments
· Coordinate African efforts in preventing and combating
Peace Support Operation
· Undertake, facilitate and
mediate in Peace support operations in conflict situation;
· Establish liaison offices;
· Deploy facilitators and special envoys;
· Deploy observers;
· Support regional peace initiatives;
· Assist in post-conflict reconstruction.
· Prepare Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for AU deployments
· Develop a logistic depot
Institutional support for:
OF THE PSD
Under the new structures of the AU,
the Peace and Security Directorate will contain a Conflict Management
Division (CMC), a Peace Support Operations Division and a Secretariat
to assist the Peace and Security Council. The CMC, which will continue
to be the operational arm of the new Peace and Security Council, is
comprised of an Early Warning Unit and a Conflict Management and Resolution
and Post conflict Unit. These two units will develop policy options
and coordinate activities to support the prevention, management and
resolution of African inter and intra-state conflicts.
Like the Conflict Management Center,
the Peace Support Operations Division comprises two units, an Operations
and Support Unit and an African Standby Force and Military Staff Committee
Unit. It undertakes, facilitates and mediates in peace support operations
in conflict situation, establishes liaison offices, deploys facilitators
and special envoys, supports regional peace efforts, assists in post-
conflict reconstruction and deploys observers.
To carry out its mission of promoting peace, security and stability
in Africa, the Peace and Security Directorate is also supported by
a Strategic Security Issues and a Project Management Team. The Project
Management Team is the management facility that provides administrative
support and management oversight functions. It ensures that the various
activities within the PSD are prioritized, planned and implemented
in a timely and efficient manner while the Strategic Security Issues
facilitates the disarmaments and coordinate African efforts in preventing
and combating terrorism.