The Afro-Arab Cooperation
Department is responsible for initiating, facilitating, coordinating,
and following up the cooperation between the African Union and the
League of Arab States in the areas of politics and diplomacy, trade,
economy and finance; culture, education and information. The Department
is also responsible for handling the Special Emergency Assistance
Fund for Drought and Famine in Africa. The objective of the Fund is
to provide emergency assistance to African countries affected by drought
and/or famine and provide immediate financial and material assistance
in support of national activities and programs which are designed
to reduce the impact of drought and/or famine in Africa.
(B) Core Activities
the proper co-ordination, monitoring and implementation of the Cairo
Declaration and the Program of Action on Afro-Arab Cooperation.
2. Devise strategies aimed at promoting/facilitating
the cooperation between the African and Arab Countries.
3. Analyze, facilitate and coordinate the cooperation
between the African and Arab Countries and forwarding recommendations
to the policy makers on measures to be taken to further enhance the
4. Initiate studies, researches etc.. on matters
relating to the Afro-Arab Cooperation.
5. Organize and facilitate meetings of the Policy
Organs of the Afro-Arab Cooperation established by the Cairo Summit.
6. Coordinate the implementation and/or follow up
the decisions taken by the Commission.
7. In collaboration with the League of Arab States,
implement Afro-Arab joint projects (Afro-Arab Trade Fair, Afro-Arab
Business week and Afro-Arab Cultural Institute)
8. Maintain close contacts with the Secretariat of
the League of Arab States and exchange information on matters of mutual
9. Liaise, network and establish contacts with other
Departments of the Commission, organs and civil society involved in
the implementation of Afro-Arab projects.
Special Emergency Assistance Fund for Drought and Famine in Africa
10. Appraise requests submitted by Member States
for assistance from the Fund and follow up implementation of projects
financed by the Fund,
11. Maintain contacts with the African Development
Bank on the financial management of the Fund,
12. Prepare reports on the performance of the Fund
and organize and serve the meetings of the Policy Committee of the
1. Afro-Arab Trade Fairs
2. Afro-Arab Business Weeks,
3. Afro-Arab Investment Forums;
4. Afro-Arab Cultural Institute.